Trouble converting .wav to .wem for new exosuit voice

No Man’s Sky Mods Forums Modding Help Trouble converting .wav to .wem for new exosuit voice

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      dbeachy1
      Participant

Hi all! I’ve been following the excellent voice modding guide for NMS from Locutus, but I’m been unable to get any custom voice clips to play in-game (it’s just silent). The one clip I’ve been testing first is the “Units Received” audio, since it’s easy to reproduce at any trading post. I believe I’ve narrowed down the problem to the .wav -> .wem conversion step using Wwise: it converts my new .wav to .wem, but the resulting .wem file appears to be a in different .wem format than what No Man’s Sky expects. To test this, I tried converting the newly created .wem file back to .ogg using ww2ogg.exe, like I did initially for all the default .wem files from NMS. Here are the successful results for an unaltered, default .wem file extracted from NMSARC.5B11B94C.pak:

D:\No Man's Sky custom audio\Divinity Sound Converter\new\AUDIO\WINDOWS\ENGLISH(US)>"d:\No Man's Sky custom audio\Divinity Sound Converter\ww2ogg.exe" --pcb "d:\No Man's Sky custom audio\Divinity Sound Converter\packed_codebooks_aoTuV_603.bin" 1003218333.WEM
      Audiokinetic Wwise RIFF/RIFX Vorbis to Ogg Vorbis converter 0.19 by hcs

Input: 1003218333.WEM
      RIFF WAVE 2 channels 48000 Hz 138416 bps
      36482 samples
      loop from 0 to 36482
      - 6 byte packet headers, no granule
      - stripped setup header
      - external codebooks
      - shortened Vorbis packets
      Output: 1003218333.ogg
      Done!

…but here is what happens when I try to convert my new .wem file created via Wwise to .ogg as a test:

D:\No Man's Sky custom audio\Divinity Sound Converter\new\AUDIO\WINDOWS\ENGLISH(US)>"d:\No Man's Sky custom audio\Divinity Sound Converter\ww2ogg.exe" --pcb "d:\No Man's Sky custom audio\Divinity Sound Converter\packed_codebooks_aoTuV_603.bin" 330331555.WEM
      Audiokinetic Wwise RIFF/RIFX Vorbis to Ogg Vorbis converter 0.19 by hcs

Input: 330331555.wem
      Parse error: unknown chunk type

If I then add the new 330331555.wem to a new .pak file anyway and drop it into my PCBAKS\MODS folder, that voice callout does not play in-game. From digging around on Google for a few hours, it seems that there are multiple .wem formats now, so perhaps No Man’s Sky is using a different .wem format than the current version of Wwise generates?

My goal here is to hire a voice actress to create all-new callouts for the exosuit and make the voice pack available for free (I’m just making this because I want to use the custom voice, so I’m happy to share it 🙂 ). I’m close to getting this proof-of-concept to work, but I’m blocked on this one step. Any ideas on converting .wav back to .wem for NMS? I’ve tried both 22 KHz mono and 48 KHz mono .wav files, but neither work. Does custom audio work for anyone else with the latest Wwise and NMS? 

Any advice much appreciated!

• This topic was modified 2 months ago by dbeachy1. Reason: Added info about .wav formats
      ducklife
      Participant

A very nice and meaningful forum, I really like your content. Thank you for sharing the information. Find out about me here: bmi calculator

dbeachy1
      Participant

Could a moderator please delete the “ducklife” post above linking to spam? The “ducklife” user is a spambot.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by dbeachy1.
      FractoggenFractoggen
      Participant

It is very informative and helpful to me.

goalken
      Participant

Your article is very useful, the content is great, I have read a lot of articles, but for your article, it left me a deep impression, thank you for sharing. basketball legends

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.