ShipSwap

This topic contains 30 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by marc walker marc walker 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
    madmanator99
    madmanator99
    Participant

Hi!

My initial goal was to actualy mess with the procedural generation of the ships to force them to be of a specific class with specific parts, buying the ship in game, then removing the mod files and keeping the ship with the specific parts while all the other ships go back to normal. Unfortunatly I still cant find a way to do that exactly.

With this mod, I settled with the easy way, and have a randomly generated ship that is close to what I want; while still keeping some diversity in the game. But it is not optimal.

The closest that I can get to the original goal is to change just the real ship’s class, so that in game there will still be 3 different classes that show up. This will keep even more diversity in the game. But I have to think of a way to make it user friendly; because there will be alot of files, each class would require 3 files. So 12 files total. Also it would require the players to know the class of his ship, to pick the correct file. I will try to find a way to make it simple in the next days.

Eventualy, if I manage to find the time to keep working on this mod the way it functions right now, I could go as far as making it possible for the players to build the ship from the ground up, picking every single part, but it is still not the way I want it to work. The appearance will still be applied to all the ships of the same class as the players’ ship.

Untill then, have fun and feel free to use this thread if you have any questions, ideas or suggestions about this mod!

-MaD

5 users thanked author for this post.
    madmanator99
    madmanator99
    Participant

Alright a small update with my progress on this mod.

I finished making a simple program that lets you select the parts you want for your ship’s appearance (wings, engine, cockpit, nose, etc), and creates a pak file, then all you have to do is place it in your pak folder to have that appearance. It is still very messy but it does the job.

You would need to know the real class of your actual ship, in order for the mod to replace only one ship class; and keeping diversity in the game as much as possible.

So far i finished the options for the fighter’s appearance, still some problems with the subwings; I may leave that part random as it is linked to the wings, or try to fix it later. Next will be the scientific ships.

-MaD

madmanator99
    madmanator99
    Participant

Here are some screenshots of customized fighter ships, so far I managed to get 10 different wings, 4 cockpits, 5 noses and 3 engines for this class to work properly. Still no subwings customization, color or decals, maybe once I get a first version out with the main parts for all 4 classes, then I will try to add more stuff. Unless someone beats me to it with a much better mod 🙂

-MaD

4 users thanked author for this post.

Riipperino
    Participant

Looking great mate ! , im in the middle of retexture the ships textures.

More space fitting , dont think pink and yellow will fit so doing gray colors or black matte /White with Bright orange decals and other variations.

Very very nice also if you need help testing im willing to sign me up for it 😉

.R

1 user thanked author for this post.
    madmanator99
    madmanator99
    Participant

Thank you Riipperino, when I get a basic version done I will let you know 🙂

Here are a couple of screenshots for the scientific ships. So far there are 13 wings (one is missing textures),  5 subwings, 2 cockpits (tricky for the moment), 2 canopies, 3 canopy accessories, 3 front accessories and probably more stuff that I forgot.

There can be up to 6 wings on the ship, I will be trying to make all of them individualy customisable, so far I got 2 done, the other 4 are separated by sides, (left and right) but still not back to front. It is not as straight forward as the fighters, but I knew it will hurt my fingers hehe. Once I make some more progress I’ll post more screenshots and move on to the next class, hopefully it will be easier than this one.

-MaD

Riipperino
    Participant

WOW sweet hehe ! 

madmanator99
    madmanator99
    Participant

Alright one more screenshot before I go get some sleep, working early tomorrow grrr. This time with a black mat texture.

-MaD

madmanator99
    madmanator99
    Participant

Ok a short update, I finished the scientific ship, all 6 wings can be customized individualy, as well as the cockpit and canopy, I left the accessories random for now.

I started working on the Dropships (cargo ships) and man they can get huge! I almost died getting out of the cockpit one time lol. Here are some screenshots. The last one is a test, but the result was funy and very promising, the customisation can include parts from other ships as well! But yeah, a giant turret is maybe overkill 😛

-MaD

3 users thanked author for this post.

somedragon
      Participant

Oh man I am so looking forward to this. Finally I’ll get the Dropship I’ve wanted since I started playing NMS and then some. Absolutely stellar work!

redcap036
    Participant

Really looking good with the work your doing, looking forwards to it as well, keep up the great work, there is another mod on this site where a modder has managed to change the color of his ship to white, http://nomansskymods.com/mods/white-scienceships/

maybe you can get in touch with him/her and work together that way you can also add in color changes as well.

HectorHappens
    Participant

Wow that looks awesome man, the one tool I’ve really been looking forward to.

teuf504
    teuf504
    Participant

Nice work MaD! Once you’ll have finished, it will be awesome 😀

Keep up the good work 

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    madmanator99
    madmanator99
    Participant

Alright another short update, I am done with the cargo ships for now, I managed to get the most important things in, like the top and bottom extra cargos, 2 cockpits, 6 necks (the necks depend on one customisation option with 3 possibilities that I could not find, so I had to group them in 3 groups of 2) . I also had to remove some options like the wings and thrusters customisation for now because there are clipping problems.

But with the options I left, you can still get some realy nice looking cargo ships like the ones below. Note that some parts will be different from user to user even if you pick the same options, because alot of it is still random. It makes the result better for now in my opinion, and easier to quickly chose the options and get your ship. I will try to add more stuff later.

I started on the Shuttles, and as I thought, it is even more work than the scientific ships, because of the huge ammount of parts that it can get. I will focus on the main parts first, and hopefully get some screenshots soon.

-MaD

avidita
    Participant

OMG!This would be a great step foward.

I’ve been looking for this for a while but noone was working on it.

Then I thought I might have to wait for a Major update from HG official.

BUT U ARE WORKING ON IT!

MUCH OBLIGED!

Even this game is not that succesful as it should be but U modders are the true forerunners of this game.

THANK U!

madmanator99
    madmanator99
    Participant

Alright another update with some bad but also some very good news as well.

I decided to not customize the shuttles; because it is very confusing, they can have a single or double hull, and either a box or cylinder model, and on top of that in different lenghts, it is just too much right now. I will rather focus on the other ships, and when I’m satisfied with the results, I will look into the shuttles again. I’m just an amateur modder afterall; there is still alot to do for the other 3 ship classes that are functional, and it is taking alot of my free time already.

But, I finaly figured out a way to display parts on the ships, even if the ship seed did not have them activated. Basicaly, there is “almost” no limit as to how many parts your ship can have. The only down side is that the positions where the parts show up, while they can be edited, are not something I plan to try and adjust, because it would simply be too much work. Instead I will just take advantage of the ones already set in the game.

Technicaly, this extends the customisation to combinations of ship parts that the game cannot generate with a ship seed, and the ability to add subwings and accessories (finaly), and even multiple wings!

Here is an exemple of a scientifc ship with 3 wings on each side and backwings.

-MaD

2 users thanked author for this post.
    teuf504
    teuf504
    Participant

This scientific ship looks amazing MaD o.O

Zdogz
    Zdogz
    Participant

I cant wait to test this mod, im also working on re-texturing some ships and their parts so im excited about this mod.
    The science ship posted above looks nice, and i actually found a crashed one recently that is very similar.
    Random crashed ship

Anyways, keep it up -MaD

bloodmoon8989
    Participant

Loving this mod, can’t wait to be able to make something like the picture I attached. Happened when 2 ships landed on each other at a trading post.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

jhl1989
    Participant

Will there be any beta testing because I would love to try!

madmanator99
    madmanator99
    Participant

Hi!

It’s been a long time since I posted an update; I have been a litle busy with real life, but I am still working on the mod almost everyday.

There was a beta test, and the people that tested it helped me alot, I have been fixing the things that were broken, and adding alot more options, like choices for subwings and accessories. It takes time thou. Thank you for the offer and when the next test version is ready, I will let you know 🙂

No new screenshots this time, because most of the work I did lately is just code and text hehe, But I will try to post some cool ships soon.

-MaD

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Taligaro
    Taligaro
    Participant

madmanator99 … How exactly will this thing work?

Is it going to be some sort of Online Ship Builder that spits out a Seed Number that you can plug into the Save Files / Save Editor?

madmanator99
    madmanator99
    Participant

Hi!

It will create a pak file once you select the class and parts you want on your ship. Then you place it with your other pak files and you can use your custom appearance. When you want to remove/change it, you simply remove the pak file, or replace it with a new one, you won’t have to modify your savefile.

Also, I know there are alot of ship seeds available with almost all the possible apperances by now on websites, and you may wonder why I’m still working on this mod. The reason is that all those seeds obey the game’s procedural generation, ie the parts that can be on a ship are limited. With this mod, on the long term, you will be able to make ships that the game can’t generate a seed for; like scientific ships or fighters with multiple wings/subwings, or the double/triple cargo ships with multiple cockpits, etc.

-MaD

jhl1989
    Participant

166916 wrote:

Hi! It will create a pak file once you select the class and parts you want on your ship. Then you place it with your other pak files and you can use your custom appearance. When you want to remove/change it, you simply remove the pak file, or replace it with a new one, you won’t have to modify your savefile. Also, I know there are alot of ship seeds available with almost all the possible apperances by now on websites, and you may wonder why I’m still working on this mod. The reason is that all those seeds obey the game’s procedural generation, ie the parts that can be on a ship are limited. With this mod, on the long term, you will be able to make ships that the game can’t generate a seed for; like scientific ships or fighters with multiple wings/subwings, or the double/triple cargo ships with multiple cockpits, etc. -MaD

You sir are mad!

Rhesus_TOR
    Participant

Interested in helping test this whenever it becomes available.

marc walker
    marc walker
    Participant

OMG this is great news, I hope you can use this, I think it is the rarest sci ship in the game, I’ve never seen one like it since I found it crashed.  Seed “0x84CD027401DFC40A”

Good Luck, Ps I’d love to be a tester too when it comes Available : )

The lake district is the best place to live : )

Rhesus_TOR
    Participant

I’ve dropped MaD a couple of PMs trying to offer help and encouragement to continue this work, but to my knowledge he’s not checked his PMs in a few weeks.  If he never comes back, somebody else will have to pick up the pieces and run with it.  I was just hoping if he’s done with the game, he’d share what he’s done so far.

marc walker
      marc walker
      Participant

Agreed, Bit i do hope he’s still working on it

cubia166
    cubia166
    Participant

hey was just logging in to ask if this was dead or something, really need to see this become a thing…

The Terror of Death

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by cubia166 cubia166.

Rhesus_TOR
    Participant

Maybe if we could hunt down the people who helped him test we could somehow get to him?  Mostly I’d just like to see his work continued, whether he does it or not.

cubia166
    cubia166
    Participant

I agree, should search around the posting users in this and see, ill try to dig around a bit on my end.

The Terror of Death

marc walker
    marc walker
    Participant

Still no responce from this guy?, such a shame it promised to be a great mod too 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.