[Request] More storage lockers for us horders!

No Man’s Sky Mods Forums Modding Talk [Request] More storage lockers for us horders!

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by t0ph3r t0ph3r 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author

ZedFontaine
    Participant

As the topic states, a mod that adds more storage things to the game, like crates, shelves, and what not.

t0ph3r
    t0ph3r
    Participant

This is kinda old  post but. I think its odd how those huge storage containers only has 5 slots. They need way more then that. Alos id like to see a mod that allows more stacking in the suit. Those are the only storage mods id like to see.

devrossik43
    Participant

Do not be limited by your perceptions!

Get “No Mans Sky Save Editor” at this site.  The author’s not finished with the Pathfinder update, but not to worry.  Open your current save.  See error.  Click “Continue” to blow past error.  From the Tools menu, open the raw JSON editor.  Switch to the text view.

Search for “Chest1” (or “Chest2” through “Chest10”).

You might see this, and think “ah ha!”  But, no, that’s not it:

"Chest1Layout": {
          "Slots": 10,    <<< Ooooh! . . . Nope.  I think this means you can have 10 chests.
          "Seed": [

Scroll past:

"Chest1Inventory": {
          "Slots": [

And past:

"ValidSlotIndices": [

To this:

"Class": {
            "InventoryClass": "C"
          },
          "SubstanceMaxStorageMultiplier": 4,    <<< Multiplier for substances, base of 250, so 4 x 250 = 1000 per slot
          "ProductMaxStorageMultiplier": 10,     <<< Multiplier for products, base of 1, so 10 x 1 = 10 per slot
          "BaseStatValues": [],                  <<< Dunno what this is
          "SpecialSlots": [],                    <<< Dunno what this is
          "Width": 3,                            <<< Width of valid columns (max 3)
          "Height": 3,                           <<< Height of valid columns (max 3), so 3 x 3 = 9 slot chest
          "IsCool": false,
          "Version": 1

Lots of cool stuff here.  The width and height set the allowed grid for slots.  Max is 3 x 3 = 9 slots.  I tried bigger but the game just cut it back.  The multiplier sets the slot capacity for substances (like stuff you mine) and products (like stuff you build).  The base values are 250 for substances and 1 for products.  In your exosuit, the multipliers are both 1, so substances stack to 250 and products to 1.  But in your ship and freighter and chests, the multipliers can be set higher — much higher.  I have my ship at 24/40, and both freighter and chests at 36/80 right now.  Don’t want to be greedy.  There are multipliers in the save file for the exosuit but you cannot change them :-(.

Thus, with a 9-slot chest, and (36 x 250 =) 9000 units of, say, Heridium per slot, I can have 81,000 units of Heridium in a chest.

Once you have set the 3 x 3 grid for the slots, you must actually create the active slots.  Go back to this part:

Each of the entries here defines an active slot on an X,Y coordinate system that starts with 0,0 in the upper left corner and goes to 2,2 in the lower right corner.  You must define each of the 9 slots.  Order does not matter.  Watch your punctuation here, because it must form a valid JSON data structure.  For example, note that the last set of coordinates does not have a comma following the closing brace:

{
              "X": 0,
              "Y": 0
            },
            {
              "X": 1,
            },
            {
              "X": 2,
            },
            {
              "Y": 1
            },
            {
            },
            {
            },
            {
              "Y": 2
            },
            {
            },
            {
            }
          ],

Note:  You can also make all of these changes in the tree view of the JSON editor, but personally, I find it too clumsy and slow for major edits.  It will, however, protect you from making formatting mistakes.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  You must change back to tree view before saving your changes, or they will not save!  It’s a little bug, but no big deal.

t0ph3r
    t0ph3r
    Participant

I dont think i was having limited perceptions cause i can be pretty perceptional. (oh i thought i was making up a word to be funny but spell check didnt kick in so it must be a word)

Thanks for the reply. This might be fun to dig around. I cant wait till the save editor gets updated.

devrossik43
      Participant

Oh, there is a ton of cool stuff in the save game with the Pathfinder release.  For example, I used the same technique I described above to expand my Multitool to 40 slots, which finally lets me add a bunch more of the enhancements.  Multitool was the only one where I couldn’t install all of the tech I wanted.

Woot!

20170314211215_1

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
    t0ph3r
    t0ph3r
    Participant

Holy pew pew! Im not really understanding the valid slot part. 

devrossik43
      Participant

Maybe this will help make it clear:

Imagine the inventory is a wall with a grid of hooks.  On each hook you can hang a bucket.  Each bucket is a place where you can store some stuff.

To increase the inventory, first you have to add more hooks to the grid.  That is what setting the Width and Height values does — it defines how many hooks there are.  Next, you have to hang the buckets.  That is what the ValidSlotIndices do — each one represents a bucket hung on the hook at the specified coordinates.

When you were building up your ship inventory or multitool, you may remember times when you had a grid of a certain size, but there were gaps where there wasn’t a square to put stuff into.  Those gaps were hooks without buckets — no valid slot index was defined for that position.

I have no idea why they didn’t just define the full size grid from the start, and let you add squares in an orderly fashion from top left to bottom right.  The exosuit pretty much worked that way, but the ships and multitools were just frustrating, with squares scattered all over the place.  I suspect it was to keep the maximum possible number of slots secret for as long as possible, and also to deliberately frustrate attempts to put related tech next to each other.  I made 48 slots on my ship long before I ever saw the save file, and when I did finally see how it worked it was a face palm moment — all the time and resources wasted rebuilding the tech again and again to reposition it, when I could have just moved it manually.

t0ph3r
    t0ph3r
    Participant

I made a reply this morning but its not showing up. I guess it was to early and i didnt hit submit like i thought. lol

Using hooks and buckets was a good way of describing this but i already understood that part it was the 0,0 part i wasnt sure about. Like if i should make them all 1,0 or something.

I had already made my suit and ship 48 slots with the save editor a week or so ago. I just a few minutes ago said to heck with it and copied the valid slots from the ship and pasted it to the weapon, storage container and the romer and the hover thing and they all now have 48 slots . I got the same weapon as you do but its white and i named it pew pew. Made it class A and increased the damage and all that.

Adept
    Participant

Any way to make this into an easy to use mod? I myself have considerable difficulties with stuff like this

t0ph3r
    t0ph3r
    Participant

Keep an eye on this one.  https://nomansskymods.com/mods/no-mans-sky-save-editor-beta/   That person is working on it.

1 user thanked author for this post.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.