How to edit the mbin files?

No Man’s Sky Mods Forums Modding Help How to edit the mbin files?

This topic contains 32 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  urizen2112 2 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

dirtydanisreal
    Participant

Anyone know how?

AkiAfroo
    Participant

i want to know the same.

AkiAfroo
    Participant

ok, i find a nice tool

https://github.com/emoose/MBINEdit

Nightwings
    Participant

163010 wrote:

ok, i find a nice tool https://github.com/emoose/MBINEdit

How open this tool ? no exe files.

AkiAfroo
      Participant

download from github and inside the “BIN>debug” folder is the EXE.

the route look like this:

MBINEdit-master\MBINEdit-master\MBINEdit\bin\Debug

tupacsampoo
    Participant

i cant seem to use mbinedit it does not start? D:

AkiAfroo
    Participant

update: i can open the mbinEdit but cant edit any mbin file ūüôĀ , i hope some admin/user show us the way to manipulate those mbin files.

ViggyNash
    Participant

Apparently MBINEdit was deprecated in favor of¬†this. I’m not sure how to use that though. Do we have to recompile the source code on our end to get the executable?

Deodus
    Participant

163532 wrote:

Apparently MBINEdit was deprecated in favor of this. I’m not sure how to use that though. Do we have to recompile the source code on our end to get the executable?

Yes you do, but right now it doesn’t have a lot of templates for opening .MBIN files and as of yet it cannot edit them (only open them) whereas MBINEdit can change values in .MBIN files but still, not really any templates.

Locutusan
    Locutusan
    Participant

Ok I find a tool also. Very simple, 2 files. One will extract .mbin to .txt.

You can edit. Then importer will pack .txt back into .mbin.

http://www32.zippyshare.com/v/joJJe53y/file.html

VictorSysov
      Participant

not working.. its creates empty txt

ViggyNash
      Participant

Not working for me either, I get an error message that says “Error Allocating Memory”. I might dig into the source code myself and see if I see any problems.

ViggyNash
        Participant

After a bunch of testing and research, I have concluded that one of the system functions for the language¬†that tool is using is straight up broken, so I can’t fix¬†it. ūüôĀ

Maybe I could try rewriting his/her code into a different language. If I get that to work, I’ll upload and link my version of the tool.

VictorSysov
          Participant

There’s malware virus do not run this shit

Nightwings
    Participant

164100 wrote:

There’s malware virus do not run this shit

After decompiling this tool ( no virus ) he works 50% ( author need update tools ) this files is clean but not functionnal

VictorSysov
      Participant

I check it with virustotal.com. Ok but how this programm can open and decompile any mbin file? To do this author need to know how mbin files is compiled. Maybe author is Sean Murrey? )))

Nightwings
    Participant

164242 wrote:

I check it with virustotal.com. Ok but how this programm can open and decompile any mbin file? To do this author need to know how mbin files is compiled. Maybe author is Sean Murrey? )))

I think with same method like https://github.com/emoose/MBINCompiler/tree/master/MBINCompiler 

VictorSysov
    Participant

164255 wrote:

I think with same method like https://github.com/emoose/MBINCompiler/tree/master/MBINCompiler
    But this method has structures for everyone mbin file

RalleYTN
    Participant

Ok I tried the MBINCompiler and I always get a deserialization error.

would be nice if someone has a compiler/decompiler for mbin files that supports command lines.

I’m working on some modding tools that do the most work for you. like unpacking all the stuff, decompiling mbin files(planned), converting models and music etc.

after editing mod it recompiles all the stuff back to a nice compact .pak file. still need tools to consume now. an mbit compiler would be one of them.

Eleiyas
    Participant

The only way I have managed to get MBINcompiler to work was to drag and drop an MBIN onto it (open with), then it extracts the MBIN into a readable .EXML file.

HOWEVER!

It has only worked on 2 files so far:

GCDEBUGOPTIONS.GLOBAL.MBIN

GCWATERGLOBALS.GLOBAL.MBIN

VictorSysov
    Participant

164441 wrote:

The only way I have managed to get MBINcompiler to work was to drag and drop an MBIN onto it (open with), then it extracts the MBIN into a readable .EXML file. HOWEVER! It has only worked on 2 files so far: GCDEBUGOPTIONS.GLOBAL.MBIN GCWATERGLOBALS.GLOBAL.MBIN

You can just create bat file and type in it: start mbincompiler.exe input.mbin output.exml MBINCompiler have two arguments to parse

happyderp
    happyderp
    Participant

None of those tools works. I can’t open any mbin file. The file created are all empty ;/

Eleiyas
    Participant

164468 wrote:

You can just create bat file and type in it: start mbincompiler.exe input.mbin output.exml MBINCompiler have two arguments to parse

Will see if this works any better, thanks

ViggyNash
    Participant

SO you guys know, MBINCompiler only works for a limited set of MBIN files, because the devs need to figure out the particular template for those files. They have a list of the working templates in the unit tests file on the github.

Eleiyas
    Participant

EDIT: Has the exact same error message whether using my method or the above .BAT method (except this time it stays up long enough to screenshot)

“Failed to deserialize template “example”, has the structure been mapped yet?”

ViggyNash
      Participant

Firstly, they have a new build out so try that.

Secondly, only a certain subset of the MBIN file templates have been mapped and implemented. You can find a list of them here.

ViggyNash
    Participant

Speaking of which, MBINCompiler can finally compile the .exml back to .MBIN!

That said, I’ve only tested it on one file so far, but it did successfully recompile, and when I decompiled it again it retained the changes. It might not work for every file, but if it at least works for some files that will be awesome.

RalleYTN
      Participant

great. that means I can build in the MBINCompiler.exe in my Modding Tool Project.

Thanks for the info. ūüôā

ravon1964
    Participant

still cant find the exe file there is no bin debug folder 

RalleYTN
      Participant

there is. just read the description. there is a link to the binaries.

ravon1964
    Participant

no there is only one directory inside mbinedit thats properties have they altered the program on that site because you can clearly see the structure of the file and no bin or debug folder

urizen2112
    Participant

You can download the MbinCompiler in this link: https://ci.appveyor.com/project/emoose/mbincompiler/build/artifacts

To use it, just drag a .pak file into the “MBINCompiler.exe” program¬†(the .exe do not execute when clicking, you just drag a file over it), and then it decompiles the .pak file into the same folder the .pak file is located. To make it a .pak again, just drag the decompiled files you just edited again into the program.

Note that for now, the program is not able to unpack all of the mbin files. People are working on it. So only some files wil be unpacked.

I am not a modder and I am not involved in these projects, I am just a curious enthusiast of modding trying to learn a little bit.

urizen2112
    Participant

PLEASE¬†DELETE my last post, since I cannot find how to do it.¬† I’ve kinda mixed up things and gave wrong information.

To edit MBIN FILES:

You can download the MbinCompiler in this link: https://ci.appveyor.com/project/emoose/mbincompiler/build/artifacts

To use it, just drag a .mbin file into the ‚ÄúMBINCompiler.exe‚ÄĚ program¬†(the .exe do not execute when clicking, you just drag a file over it), and then it extracts the mbin file into the same folder it is located. The result is a .exml file. To create the mbin again, just do the reverse.

Note that for now, the program is not able to unpack all of the mbin files. People are working on it. So only some mbin files will work.

I am not a modder and I am not involved in these projects, I am just a curious enthusiast of modding trying to learn a little bit.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.