How to create you own .pak file that modifies exisiting .pak?

No Man’s Sky Mods Forums Modding Help How to create you own .pak file that modifies exisiting .pak?

This topic contains 21 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by john101918 john101918 3 weeks ago.

• Author

toffler
    Participant

I understand how to extract .mbins, modify them and then pack them back into a .pak file where they came from.

But as far as I can see when people upload mods they supply their own .pak file that modifies existing one.

How do you do that?

Deodus
    Participant

Here are the steps : 

1. (You already know how to do this but) Extract the .pak containing the file(s) you want to modify.
    2. Isolate the file(s) you modified while keeping the directory tree intact (for i.e. AUDIO\12345.wem)
    3. Pak the isolated file(s)/folder(s) and name the new archive with an “_” before it like _MOD.MyModDoesThings.pak
    4. Finished ! Your new .pak should overwrite any file from the default .pak.
      Dinax51
      Dinax51
      Participant

Hi Deodus,

Just a question if can help.

Are you aware if we can compress into a .pak file different files from different .apk files?

Let’s say we change something in the Metadata folder of a specific .pak file and also something else from the Textures folder from a different .pak file.

Can we put these 2 on the same .pak file? I am not sure if this would cause a problem.

Thanks a bunch in advance! 🙂

Deodus
    Participant

If you have trouble reading the .png images just open them in a new tab. Hope this helps!

toffler
    Participant

Thank you!

David001
    Participant

what program do you use to compile the files into .pak?

toffler
    Participant

psarc, for example like so: psarc.exe create -a -y –zlib –inputfile=NMSARC.CE8DDE7C.txt –output=NMSARC.CE8DDE7C.pak

Dinax51
    Dinax51
    Participant

This is good info, thanks! 🙂

I had the same question.

mattstryker
    Participant

I guess I need a lot more hand holding than most of you.  I don’t understand the example of how to repack files.  What exactly would I type in this situation?  I have modified 3 texture files and put them back into their directory:

TEXTURES/COMMON/SPACECRAFT/SHARED/ENGINEGLOW.1.DDS, ENGINEGLOW.2.DDS, and ENGINEGLOW.3.DDS

The example above that says, “psarc.exe create -a -y –zlib –inputfile=NMSARC.CE8DDE7C.txt –output=NMSARC.CE8DDE7C.pak” doesn’t make any sense to me, because I am an idiot.  How do I tell it that there are 3 input files, not one, and how does it know the full directory path?

Can I make a simple “_mod” file with just those 3 files, or do I need to repack the entire original .pak file somehow?  I really just need somebody to type out exactly what I need to type so that I can figure out other stuff in  the future myself.  Thanks!

toffler
      Participant

You need to create a text file with 3 lines in it, this tells psarc which files to pack, the name of this file can be anything, say “whatever.txt”, paths to the files should match those in the original game .pak file:

TEXTURES/COMMON/SPACECRAFT/SHARED/ENGINEGLOW.1.DDS

TEXTURES/COMMON/SPACECRAFT/SHARED/ENGINEGLOW.2.DDS

TEXTURES/COMMON/SPACECRAFT/SHARED/ENGINEGLOW.3.DDS

Then you put psarc.exe and this text file to the same folder that contains your TEXTURES folder with .dds inside it, and type in command prompt:

psarc.exe create -a -y –zlib –inputfile=whatever.txt –output=_whatever.pak

This should create _whatever.pak which is your mod. If you put it along with other original game .pak files, those .dds will be replaced with yours. The only important thing is that the name of your .pak file must start with underscore.

mattstryker
    Participant

That all seems very helpful, thank you.  However, I get an error, “unknown option — z”

I copy/pasted exactly what you gave me, changing only the names:

psarc.exe create -a -y –zlib –inputfile=_Mod_EngineGlow.txt –output=_Mod_EngineGlow.pak

and I ran everything out of the same directory.  I’m guessing the “z” it’s talking about has something to do with “-zlib”, but there are no spaces or anything that it would get a “z” by itself.  Is it a double dash?  Did the post change a double dash into a long dash or something like that?

mattstryker
    Participant

Okay, the double dashes being changed into a single long dash was the problem.  So I got everything paked correctly, deleted the shadercache, and yet my maps made absolutely NO difference in the game.  I’m attaching my files.  Is there something I’m missing?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

toffler
      Participant

You need to capitalize .dds in your text file, so it’s .DDS Also it’s a good idea to do that with your file extensions.

mattstryker
    Participant

Again, good advice, and I thank you for your help and patience, but that didn’t affect anything either.  There are still several possibilities: the resolution on my DDS files might be too high, and I could try it again at the original resolution, or I might have picked the wrong version of DDS save (there were several to pick from, so I picked the one that I had used on other games like Skyrim), or the files themselves might be leftovers from some previous build of the game, and that the REAL engine glows might be located somewhere completely else.  You have still helped me way beyond anything I had read, and I thank you again for that.  I just need to figure out what else might be going on.  I think if I can solve this one problem, then I can really open up and start doing a lot of other stuff.

toffler
      Participant

That wasn’t really an advice, I made your files work with the changes I mentioned above, see your textures in action below.

Attachments:

toffler
      Participant

Maybe you are not placing your .pak file in the right folder, should be in PCBANKS?

mattstryker
    Participant

Well, crap!  That looks pretty cool!  Everyone else’s mods work, why won’t my mod work in my own game?  I have it in the PCbanks folder just like all my other mods I’ve downloaded.  I still must not be packing it right somehow…

mattstryker
    Participant

I also removed all the other mods and deleted the shadercache just in case there was a conflict.  I still don’t know why it doesn’t work.  If I have it unpacked and in the pcbanks folder, still inside all of its directories with the TEXTURES folder in the PCBanks folder, shouldn’t it override the original .pak files?  It doesn’t, but I was wondering if it should.

toffler
      Participant

Well, I can only send you your own modified files back.

1. delete game cache
      2. delete all custom mods, including yours from pacbanks
      3. unzip attached into some folder like d:\tmp\
      4. run doit.bat
      5. copy created .pak into pcbanks
      6. enjoy the glow

If it doesn’t work then there is something peculiar about your pc and/or game setup, that is beyond my help.

If it works then you didn’t properly rename files as I mentioned before.

Attachments:

toffler
      Participant

Also, I wouldn’t use .bat, because this way you don’t see how psarc works and if there were any errors while packing. Open cmd and run your .bat command there, this way you will see if psarc works as it should.

mattstryker
    Participant

Okay, I downloaded your zip and packed it, and it worked!  I see an obvious change I need to make to the texture involving it’s alpha channel and I need to make the orange and yellow closer to the center, but the mod worked!  So now I’ve painstakingly gone through everything about everything between the one you sent back and the one I made, and I can NOT see any differences.  My ONLY guess is that Windows 10 didn’t like me changing the file extensions to all caps.  I changed it, but in the window it was in caps and when you hover over the file it is still lower case, so I guess Windows 10 was trying to humor me. I tried changing them to a totally different extension and then changing them back but with caps, and that might or might not work, but I haven’t repacked it and tried it yet.  Thanks for all your help!  When I get back to work on Monday, I’ll mess with my textures (I have Photoshop at work) and try it again.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    john101918
    john101918
    Participant

This is really usefull information,thanks for giving such a golden way to secure our important assets”Download” -“Norton/setup” and make privacy strong enough to tackle any problems”Antivirus-protection” Get Support if you face any problem to activate office.com/setup or mcafee.com/activate … Surf securly on “www” great job. I wish all other people should also go through this …
    norton.com/setup
    mcafee.com/activate
    office.com/setup

The old childhood warning “Stranger danger!” has withstood the test of time even in our modern, developed world. Now that most of our daily procedures and activities are automatized and available for use on the Internet, we need to take the same level of precaution we did as children, crossing to the other side of the street whenever we saw a suspicious stranger.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.