Distinguishing Discovered from Undiscovered

No Man’s Sky Mods Forums Modding Help Distinguishing Discovered from Undiscovered

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by yiab.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      yiab
      Participant

I’m new to No Man’s Sky modding and I wonder if any of the following mods would be possible to do, and if so how I should go about finding them or starting to create one of them.

So you all know those icons on your HUD that show up when using a scanner, beacon, transmission tower, etc. Unfortunately once the icons appear on my HUD I can’t tell which ones are places I’ve already been to and which are new places. This is a problem since I’d like to find, name, and upload every location on a single planet. To remedy this, I’d like to do (at least) one of the following:

1. Make a different set of icons for discovered places than the one for undiscovered places (or vice versa),
      2. Make it so that using a scanner, beacon, etc only ever marks a previously undiscovered location,
      3. Make it so that discovered places are only visible through the analysis visor and undiscovered places without (or vice versa),
      4. Make it so that scanning from the air makes visible (and preferably marks on the HUD) all nearby question marks (and only question marks),
      5. Make it so that scanning from space makes visible (and marks on the HUD) all icons on a planet at once (probably extremely costly in terms of computer resources),

This is in approximate order of my preferences for what to try.

Any suggestions?

P.S. In terms of creating one of these myself I’m a fairly experienced coder (Java and Python) and I’ve made mods for Minecraft, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, and Fallout 3 before – a simple tutorial on how to start looking over these PAK files would be very helpful.

ehelldane
      Participant

You might not have noticed, but sometimes when you leave a planet and return, buildings will have changed type. So the scan everything, or really anything, from space may not work: reasonably localized scanning from in atmosphere probably wouldn’t be too difficult for devs, but I doubt it’s possible for standard modders.

In any case, option like these really should have been built into the game.

BalsaDawgBalsaDawg
      Participant

168873 wrote:

You might not have noticed, but sometimes when you leave a planet and return, buildings will have changed type. So the scan everything, or really anything, from space may not work: reasonably localized scanning from in atmosphere probably wouldn’t be too difficult for devs, but I doubt it’s possible for standard modders. In any case, option like these really should have been built into the game.

Agreed.

Since EVERYTHING is “procedurally created on the fly”, it would be impossible to map on a planetary scale, because most things don’t even exist UNTIL you scan or see them.

Also, anything you scan that is far away from you will just be a number in a database until you get close enough for it to be “seen”.

yiab
      Participant

Yeah, that’s why what I’d really like is just different icons depending on whether or not you’ve already found a location.

Also technically, every computer program is “just… a number in a database” regardless of what state it’s in.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.